BLEACH: The Picture (Chp3)

349279
It was nearly late afternoon when Byakuya arrived at the mansion. His sudden shift of mood made his entire household literally jumped from where they seated as he burst through the front door and starts scowling anyone that moves. Yorouichi Shihoin was already there, sitting silently on one corner when he opens the library door. Byakuya's headache exceeds to the point he wants to destroy something ever since the meeting with the Organization ended a few minutes ago, and now, as he stared gloomily to his former guardian and mentor, Byakuya was aware of those small smile meant another dilemma to his bad day situation.

Avoiding any conversation he went straight to the bar and grabbed a bottle of whiskey, just to show how much he wanted to be alone. But the playful woman, of which has more knowledge of the outside world than Byakuya's, was in no mood to back down. Yorouichi is here for a specific reason, and whether the annoyed one likes it or not, Byakuya had to face her.

"Whatever you want to say, make it quick. I'm too tired reasoning right now."

Ignoring the dark-head's insolent tone, Yorouichi answered him with a smile. Her posture mimic's as one of those Byakuya's—less arrogant and more humane, though.

"How are you, my boy?" she said.

Byakuya sat on one of his upright chairs and gulped down his drink in one swig, and then poured another one.

"I only hear that question through the mouth of my assistant when your letter reached this building. Tell me, aren't you tired asking the same old thing?"

"That was different, Bya-bo. This time I mean it."

"Of course you do. You're here."

He set his glass down and reached for his breast pocket—a silver cigarette case, and then lighted one of its watched her former apprentice with narrowing eyes as blue smoke swirls to the air. It was the first time she ever saw him like this.

"New indulgence of yours?"

"I'm just trying something I never done before, that's all," Byakuya replied.

"Which is?" she said with a hint of mockery.

"To feel I'm alive."

She laughed. "And having a smoke makes you feel what, human?"

"I'm just implying I used to enjoy my life."

"Wasn't that late to realize right now?"

Bykuya's jaw clenched. The question speaks volume. He stood up and crashed the filter into the ashtray.

"Stop making things lightly, it makes me hate you even more," Byakuya hissed. "And to answer your question, I am fine! I am fine till you showed up again. Which begs the question... what are you doing here?"

"I just want to see you."

"Bullshit."

Yorouichi raised a brow, trying to tick out the alien word which she never heard from Byakuya before.

She crossed her arm against her ample breast, saying, "Few years of my absence and you're already turned obstinate. I left you for a while and look what have you become."

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Sensei," Byakuya snapped back. "I don't think six years may consider as a 'while'."

"Don't worry, it won't happen again. Forgive me for abandoning you."

It was Byakuya's turn to laugh. "Why would I forgive you?"

Yorouichi was silent, but it was not sadness in her eyes that Byakuya noticed.

"Ah, I see," he started after a long pause. "So you've heard the news."

"I have my sources, Byakuya." She turned away and sat on the couch. "Fortunately, mine is more fitting than yours."

"For someone like you, Yorouichi. How typical."

She shot her eyes at him. "If you do not favor my aim, can we talk sense now?"

"As long as you get out of my sight when you're done, then by all means, you may."

Yorouichi shook her head, and then sighed. What happened to this young man after all these years, she couldn't guess. "Fifty-six million dollars," she started. "You wired fifty-six million last night to the Organization account, and that was just the start. I've heard you billed another hundred and fifty million to buy them out. I don't know what the reason for all this, but let me say this... are you out of your fucking mind?"

Byakuya snorted, just a hint. "Maybe."

"You don't know who you are dealing with here, Bya-bo. Once you get your hands dirty on this, the organization will destroy you—"

"—and that is why I'm buying them out." Byakuya retorted. "I want full control of the empire. I have plans of my own, Yorouichi. What's between me and my affairs has nothing to do with you now. I have a mind of my own."

"Stupid mind, that is," Yorouichi supplied. She picked up her feet and walked towards the door. "I'll be leaving tomorrow. Think about this, my boy. You've been stressed...maybe that's why your brain doesn't function very well."

"I am fine."

"Oh for god sakes! Just this once—"

"I said I am fine." Byakuya turned away. "Goodbye, Yorouichi."

Yorouchi studied him for a moment and then left. Byakuya slumped back on the couch, massaging his temple. Nobody can understand why he has done these things, but it doesn't matter. He knows he's doing the right thing...or was it? Preserving his family name from the venomous capitalist hacking his neck was his only agenda—nothing more. His father died because of the organization, the illegal ways of the empire killed the only family Byakuya had. Was it vengeance, was it payback? Perhaps. What is the consequence, he knows. He's not that blind. Byakuya doesn't need Yorouichi to tell him that.

But then again...

He sighed deeply. It's too early to yield his last card, yet his frustration is dragging him down...

Nevermind.

His phone vibrates, waking his reverie. His scowling face changed when he saw the name on the small screen. "Rukia?"

"Nii-sama?" A small voice lingered through the mouthpiece, and Byakuya felt she was sobbing.

"What's wrong?"

"Can someone in your staff could pick me up?"

"Why? Where are you?"

"I..." she hesitated for a moment. Then she said, "The police station."


***

"What did he say?"

Ichigo shrugged while eating his sandwich. Time for lunch. "Same."

"And you believe him?"

"Who says I believed him?"

Yumi leaned on the table, hand cupping his jaw. "In the past few weeks, how many times did he disappear…? I lost count."

Ichigo mentally counted. "Five."

"That's it!" Ikkaku pointed, slamming his hand at the table. "He anointed with the cult!"

"Oh don't be ridiculous, dear."

"Yeah? Exibit A: he's acting like weird lately and two, the numbers of his tattoos had increased!"

"Did you see 666?"

"No."

"Then it's not a cult, you idiot." Yumi turned to Ichigo. "And where is he now?"

Ichigo vaguely waved his hand. "Probably dickin' around somewhere..."

"I don't think so." Ikkaku jerked his head to the left when Ichigo shot up his eyes at him. "He's over there... with that weird guy. Yah know him?"

Ichigo peered closely. Tall, black hair, tight jeans. "Yeah. Hisagi."

"Oh! I almost forgot…" Yumi pulled a piece of paper from his pocket and handed over to Ichigo. But Ichigo turned away. Yumi read it for him. "The girl's name is Rukia Kuchiki, by the way. Sounds familiar?"

Ichigo did not reply. He was staring at Renji's strange movements towards this Hisagi guy. The hell was he doing? And when Yumi and Ikkaku realized their friend was not himself to answer, they followed Ichigo's eyes. Few momentslater, without a word to each other, they followed Renji and Hisagi towards the back of the Library building.

"Maybe he's the cult leader," whispered Ikkaku.

"Would you stop with cult-thing!" Yumi countered. "They're arguing about something…"

"Holy shh... did you see that?" Ikkaku pointed, seeing Renji strutted to catch up with the guy. "He's like a fly following a dog shit!"

"Shhh…"

"Look! He's doing it again!"

"Stop pointing your finger, Ikkaku. And would you please keep your voice down!"

"Shut up, I can't hear them," said Ichigo. Then impatiently he motioned his two friends to stay where they are, and then slowly walked closer to the other two. Standing behind one column the building, right behind where Renji stood, Ichigo heard his friend's voice—a tone he never heard before.

"Why not?" he heard Renji said. "I mean I think it's about time, right? I'm tired of this... this hiding thing."

"Renji, I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why?"

"Because they knew you're not gay."

Ichigo felt a stab through his gut. This is not what he expected to hear. "But that's the idea of telling, wasn't it?" Renji whispered.

"Renji, I don't want to—"

"You don't want what?"

"Look, we knew each other for what, two months, and I'm the only person who knew all about you? Oh come on, Renji. You can't just drop a bomb like that. And my internship is scheduled next month, and I have no plans of ruining it. We're in good terms. We don't have to explain to everyone what's going on between us. If you come out now, my reputation will be at stake."

"And mine's not?"

"I'm telling you what's inside that thick skull yours is a bad idea!"

"I can't believe this..."

"I'm just telling—"

"Stop. I don't wanna know."

Ichigo thought the silence of the two meant he was caught, but when he heard Renji again, he felt sad and angry at the same time for his friend.

"I thought I did the right thing," Renji said to Hisagi. "Guess, I was wrong." And with that Ichigo sighed, stepped back and walked away.

Yumi and Ikkaku saw Ichigo coming, and noticed their friend's eyes were blank. "What's wrong?" Yumi said. Ichigo just shook his head.

"What did you hear? Who's that guy?" Ikkaku said.

But Ichigo did not answer. He just walks away.

"Did I say something wrong?" Ikkaku quipped a brow.

Yumi glanced back at Renji, who's now also walking on the opposite way, alone. Oh that's why…


PREVIOUSTBC

No comments:

Post a Comment